POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amapi is free : Re: Amapi is free Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amapi is free
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 20 Apr 2003 09:27:53
Message: <3ea2a059@news.povray.org>
Andreas Kreisig wrote:

> I'm not familiar with rendering algorithms, but aren't there any rendering
> systems available(e.g. Pixar's Renderman wich is a hybrid renderer) wich
> are able to pipe the input so that the memory is not the limited factor?
>
> Andreas

Pixar's Renderman uses the reyes algorithm. Afaik its much like
scanlining but divides the objects into a grid of sub-pixel
micropolygons which makes detailed displacement mapping possible.
But due to its nature it cannot render realistic shadows, reflections
and refractions.

There are also some approaches to memoy coherent raytracing (normal
raytracing always requires access to any part of the scene) but from
what I know they only work when you dont have complex lightning like
radiosity or hundrets of light sources.

But complexity in raytracing can also be achieved with other rhings than
meshes like isosurfaces for detailed landscapes.